We went shopping last December 30th because we needed stuff at home after being away for a few days. No more toilet paper, cooking oil, shampoo… And I was surprised seeing a lot of people in the groceries. All in the holiday rush. I forgot that New Year was coming and most did not want to do their last minute shopping for the noche buena.
While observing, I thanked God deep inside that my family is not under traditions anymore.
- No need to buy round fruits for blessing. A lot of moms were in the fruits’ section counting how many round fruits they already have. The dads just got the ones the department stores already prepared (a little more expensive). Funny how women and men are different from each other in many ways.
- No need to make noises (firecrackers, torotot) to repel bad vides.
- No need to have certain food on the table (like the sticky ones to keep family and relationships intact).
- No need to do things to attract prosperity.
- All the more no need to jump at midnight to grow taller (I would have love a few more inches though, lol!).
I thanked God for the truth and freedom that my family is in. I thanked God that He is our lives and that we have everything in Jesus. Prosperity, blessed relationship, favor… we found all these in the Lord. Our life is in Christ (John 14:6)! That when we gather on New Year’s eve, it is to celebrate Him in our lives through prayer, food and fellowship.
My heart was heavy seeing all those still in the dark. But I also thought, why do people in general go to even difficult measures just to celebrate the holidays? This is the time of the year when everyone spends thousands just to be able to give and have a little feast at home. It is the busiest time of the year for shopping malls, supermarkets, leisure and food places. And the answer is obvious. Christmas and New Year are the seasons of the the year when love is celebrated. It is the time with family and friends. It is a season of love.
However, deep down inside it is not because of the party and gifts. It is because of the happiness this season brings. It is because of joy… This season somehow fills in the human need for love.
It is just sad that many of us spends a lot of money in the name of love and loving. Just to have joy.
If only, we all know Jesus intimately…